Howl's Moving Castle
The Cat in the Hat
Green Eggs and Ham
Hatchet
Matilda
The Magician's Nephew
Hamlet
The Lord of the Rings
The Importance of Being Earnest
The Complete Little House Nine-Book Set
The Once and Future King
Flame Of Recca, Volume 1 (Flame of Recca
The Return of the King
The Two Towers
Signet Classics The Inferno
Picture of Dorian Gray
The Book Thief
The Other Boleyn Girl
The Hangman's Daughter
Alice I Have Been
}

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Book #2 The Year of the Hare by Arto Paasilinna


I was wandering around in Barnes and Noble with my friends one Friday night (I know, we're nerds) and stumbled over this book on the new release table. I was immediately interested by the title, even more so by the synopsis on the back, and then completely sold when a review compared it to Life of Pi by Yann Martel, which I adore. What a dirty trick!

This book was...cute? The main character, a reporter, carries this hare with him on his pseudo-escape through Finland from a life he doesn't like. I expected a lot more personal reflection from the character, but instead felt pelted by a lot of little anecdotal stories. I never felt involved in the story after the first couple of chapters, which were in my opinion the most exciting and interesting. I really wanted to love this book, but I just didn't!

No comments:

Post a Comment