Howl's Moving Castle
The Cat in the Hat
Green Eggs and Ham
Hatchet
Matilda
The Magician's Nephew
Hamlet
The Lord of the Rings
The Importance of Being Earnest
The Complete Little House Nine-Book Set
The Once and Future King
Flame Of Recca, Volume 1 (Flame of Recca
The Return of the King
The Two Towers
Signet Classics The Inferno
Picture of Dorian Gray
The Book Thief
The Other Boleyn Girl
The Hangman's Daughter
Alice I Have Been
}

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Review: A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray

Happy New Year!

My first book of the year is A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray. Now, I'll be honest. I totally picked the book up because of  hardcore cover lust. I mean, look at it! It's totally swoon worthy!

Of course, I couldn't go on cover alone. I'm a little title judgy, too. Is that a thing? I think it should be. Some titles just scream "I'm a whiny teen romance!" and I was really afraid that this would be one of them. That's so not my thing.

Thankfully, the cover flap description had me at hello. This book revolves around Marguerite, an artistic teen girl living with a wildly scientific genius family. Her parents have just completed creating a device called a Firebird, which is a necklace that transports the wearer into versions of themselves in other dimensions. We also know from the beginning that the device was stolen by Paul, a grad student who worked closely with her parents on the device, and who may have also had a hand in killing Marguerite's father.

Together with another of her parents' assistants, Theo, Marguerite begins hopping dimensions in search of Paul and the answers he holds about her father's death. From London, to Russia, back to the United States, and the middle of the sea, we follow Marguerite, Theo, and Paul through their interdimensional journeys.

I would so love to tell you more, but I just won't ruin it for you. For those of you who need a quick start to stay interested -- this book definitely has it. The pace remains quick throughout most of the book, and I really had trouble finding a place where I thought, "Yeah, this is a good spot to stop," because it seemed like I was always in the middle of something.

The characters are beautifully subtle, and the writing is exquisite. I found myself backtracking to reread certain parts just because I loved the way Gray wrote them. And seriously, I can't stop staring at the cover. If you want a little more insight into the cover and want to see some other versions that were considered (and in my opinion, equally beautiful), hop over to this post on EpicReads. 

Overall, I give this book a 10 out of 10, and I can't wait for the next book!

I will be back within the next couple of days with my next review. Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment